Pure Obsessional OCD (Pure O) is a form of OCD that involves a combination of obsessions and compulsions, but without any physically observable symptoms. Some examples of the compulsions and behaviors related to this type of OCD are as follows:
- repeating certain words in one’s head
- repetitive prayers or mantras
- counting (e.g. counting steps when walking up the stairs)
- hyper-focusing on specific bodily sensations or processes, such as blinking, swallowing or breathing
- hyper-focusing on symmetry or order
- a need to “cancel out” thoughts or actions with an opposite thought or action
Please keep in mind that our platform is not meant for reassuring one’s compulsions or behaviors; instead, we are a community that helps and supports each other in terms of recovery.
If you would like to read more about Purely Obsessional OCD (Pure O), please check out this article.