Common OCD Thoughts

Sure. Some common OCD intrusive thoughts include self-harm or harming someone around us, extra focus on religious matters, sexually explicit events, etc. Also, fear that something terrible might happen to us or those we care about.

So far, I think religious OCD is the most troublesome one. Having constant thoughts that you might be the wrong person who deserves to be punished should be a nightmare. Just the opposite of what psychopaths feel, which is nothing even when they hurt someone.

Quite ironic that some do a lot of terrible things and don’t feel anything, while others feel like the worst people on Earth due to their intrusive thoughts. More should be talked about those topics because it will bring peace into the OCD people’s souls.

Life is full of contrast. It often makes me sad the way that people with OCD perceive themselves. You are absoæutely right that more should be talked about the real meaning of intrusive thoughts and that they are no part of who we are.

Hi. I’m Tiana, and I have been suffering from OCD since I was 15. That’s at least when it noticeably manifested as rabies specific OCD. I regularly avoid animals and will irrationally tell myself that I have contracted rabies from animals that are even vaccinated-just touching them is enough for me to think I’ve contracted it. This is debilitating and I feel like no one can relate. Any time my throat is dry, or I swallow a little weird, or even when the panic starts, I convince myself that’s signs of rabies forming and it’s too late… I have lightly mentioned it to therapists thinking it was too oddly specific and then never got help with it. I work every day of the week so I can’t seek therapy really. I feel stuck. I am medicated on Fluoxetine 40mg but it doesn’t seem to help.

1 Like

Hi Tiana, and welcome to the community :clinking_glasses: I think it could help if you book an online consultation with your therapist and mention more details about your rabies OCD and how you feel about animals. Most likely, your therapist has had or read about similar cases, so don’t doubt their adequacy in helping you.

Hi Tiana, I suffer from OCD (mainly to do with my health being affected) and lately its taken the form of me being scared I contracted rabies from a trip in Thailand. Basically my mind is telling me i have been bitten by a dog out there - even though i know its more likely it did not happen. Its been 7weeks since I was there and even though I have had no symptoms I am still massively scared I have the disease. I know its been a year since you have posted your blog but I only just found this website. I guess I am just positing to let you know you are not on your own and I am here to chat if you need? i find that exercise and having a routine is the best way for my mind to work properly and to help keep down my anxiety levels. I am still today petrified I have rabies but I am not going to let the fear dictate what i do and even if I have to do the day in a scared frame of mind I will do it. Shout out if i can help?