Constant checking and fear of leaving

Every time I leave, I check if all electric appliances are turned off and close all the windows even though I live on the fifth floor. Several times it happens already that I go back home and check if I did all those things. I can’t stand myself anymore, fearing that I might have forgotten something working in the apartment. I am afraid that maybe I will cause a fire one day, and all flats around will be affected. Then I have to kill myself …

Checking OCD can be a nightmare, and you need to treat that. From your story, I can see that you either haven’t sought treatment yet, or it’s an ineffective one. Of course, you can follow some methods to help checking OCD symptoms. Learn more about ERP therapy and try doing it yourself as a start.

You are right. I haven’t sought treatment before. I am also a little worried about why my checking fears worsened through the years. Even my flatmate started to notice and asked to talk with me about it. I will read more about ERP, and I hope it can help me.

I wish you the best of luck in case you start ERP. If you stick to it, it will most likely help you. I just wrote a few tips for living with others when you have OCD, so feel free to check them out.

I like your tips, but I hope at least 1-2 of them will work for me. From my experience, I don’t know how to make things work after I receive some piece of advice. I know it sounds strange, but I probably need someone to guide me, which can’t happen at the moment.

I can assume that you probably wait for the best time to implement the advice you receive, or you don’t look at the big picture and create steps for achieving the goal. Try to figure out the reason for your having difficulty following advice.

I do wait for the best time. I have never been friends with the time except for a few minor events that were just in perfect timing. I know how stupid I sound, but it is so damn difficult to change that habit.

I believe that if you have the wish, you can work towards becoming better friends with the time. It’s so common among others because I hear people often complaining about procrastinating and waiting for the perfect moment. Thus, you can find other people who struggle with the same issue and try to fight it together by setting small achievable goals.

I am too impatient to talk about it, especially with people with the same issue. I prefer to deal with the problem myself if possible. Small achievable goals sound like a good start. :slight_smile:

It’s good that you know your strengths and weaknesses. I can’t wait to hear from you soon about learning to follow instructions and get the most out of the advice you receive.

Honestly, sometimes I am unaware of my strengths and weakness. That’s why I search for communities like this one, both online and in real life, to hear about new things and possibly get some motivation.