How diet affects depression and anxiety

Alright, I rarely post something on my own, but I found this video, and its a must watch - Nutritional Psychiatrist Shares Diet Mistakes that Cause Depression and Anxiety | Dr. Drew Ramsey - YouTube
It explains how important is what we eat and how it directly affects our mental health. It also stresses the importance of avoiding ultra-processed foods, which increase inflammation, and then any existing anxiety disorder or health problem worsens.
Let me know what you think about the video. It is a long one, but everything said is really informative.

I had a few nutrition courses before, and it’s a fact that food makes you or breaks you. Unfortunately, most doctors do not even recommend a diet change before prescribing harmful substances. The video is really a must-watch, as you noted, Joe.

I was thinking of finding something about the relation between food and anxiety disorders myself. It is incredible we have such helpful members here like you, @Joe. Moreover, the video material is spot on. The nutritional psychiatrist gives a deep insight into food and health and does that in an understandable language. I hope more people here watch it and research the topic further.

Hi @Joe, my friend. I am glad you started making posts too. Otherwise, your post is highly informative. I am even impressed by what the guy said. I watched nearly half of it but will finish it later.

I intuitively knew that diet impacts our mental state to a great extent. Somehow I feel better on a relatively low-carb pescatarian diet.

It is the same with me. Eating meat and meals packed with too many carbs makes me slow and even more anxious. Weirdly, no therapist touches on the diet’s importance, a least not from my experience.

My personal doctor mentioned that a well-balanced diet with less processed foods included does half of the work of any health issue. Now I try to consume more raw and natural products, and I feel well most of the time.

I feel flattered. Thank you for the kind words. I found it highly helpful and think that if you have the discipline, you can significantly help yourself with OCD by adjusting your diet.

Did you finish it or I should act upset now that you didn’t keep up your word? :sweat_smile:

I feel the same way. Additionally, I noticed my skin cleared up, but I also cut out on diary products.

I know what you mean about diary products. I will try to cut it from my meals too. The problem is that I like cheese too much and it would be difficult for me, at least in the beginning.

I finished it, don’t be upset, mate. I am waiting for you to recommend something else OCD-related to watch. :smiley:

An easy way to satisfy your cheese cravings is to spring nutritional yeast on your dishes. It has a nutty flavor and overall enhances the taste of any dish.

I just ordered some nutritional yeast, my friend. I hope I will like it as I can’t remember a specific time I tried it, but I’ve heard they add it to dishes in restaurants.

Nutritional yeast works wonders as a substitute for cheese. I love to add it to pasta and pizza. Absolutely worth it. Also, almond milk is tastier than real milk. I don’t understand people who prefer dairy products. :sweat_smile:

I think that this is what most people are used to from their childhood. They love their cereal with milk and their favorite dishes with cream and cheese, which is understandable.

I understand what you mean. However, more information should be available about how food influences OCD and other mental disorders. I recently read “This Is Your Brain on Food” by Uma Naidoo. It sheds so much light on this topic.

This sounds interesting even to me. Maybe because I never read anything about the connection between food and mental state, but it is quite logical that there is such.

Thank you for the recommendation. I appreciate it when someone recommends books. If we talk about nutrition, I feel primarily productive when I don’t eat anything at all for half of the day and do most of the work during that time. I don’t understand why everyone says that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we should not skip it. I feel great and full of energy, skipping breakfast.

Many people I know also skip breakfast and feel and look great. I do it also but not all the time. In fact, many nutritionists recommend intermittent fasting for health reasons and weight reduction. Therefore, we can assume that skipping breakfast or some main meal is not an issue but the opposite.