How long should therapy last?

I have been in therapy for weeks, working with my therapist on EMDRP techniques. We’ve tackled my fears and triggers head-on, but despite my best efforts, my OCD is still very much present in my life.
I wonder how long I should keep doing this. I am starting to lose hope that anything will ever change. I am exhausted from the constant battle in my mind and feel like giving up. I will appreciate any ideas.

As a person with OCD, I understand your frustration and exhaustion from constantly battling with intrusive thoughts and compulsive behaviors. While I haven’t done EMDR myself, all types of therapy can be challenging, and it takes time to see changes. A good option, however, is to reassess your treatment goals with your therapist in case you feel too challenged.

Try another therapy, my friend. I haven’t heard about EMDR before, probably this is some innovative one. However, look at ACT or ERP as those are proven to work for most people with OCD.

This is a piece of good advice. Also, experimenting with more relaxation methods might help you find relief.

I found relief for myself. I hope that our suggestions help @Jesper in some way. I can also add that reading more studies and success stories online might give him extra inspiration.

I knew it was not a common one, but my therapist recommended it. I feel more relief doing it these days, so I will probably keep going for a few more days until I decide whether I should change it.

Fair enough. I am interested to know if this therapy helped you cause i don’t have much information about its effects :slight_smile:

Yes, although it took some time, I feel more in tune with myself now. The frequency of my obsessions and compulsions is reduced by 50-60%, and I can do my job well.

Wow, what a result, right? Do you have any projections on whether your obsessions and compulsions can be reduced by over 90% or close?

I sincerely hope so. We haven’t set a concrete number with my therapist, but we are working towards achieving maximum results. Overall. I have reasonable projections and feel I can recover fully.

Usually, when someone has a similar feeling, they likely achieve their targets. I would love to hear if it went well for you. :slight_smile:

Yes and no for now. My objectives are certainly not met, but my therapist said that I set too high goals for the given time frame and case specifics. Anyway, I am not discouraged in any way.

Your experience sounds a little like mine when I was battling my ocd. You will achieve great results if you don’t give up or redirect from your destination.

I am taking it slow some days, but I am not giving up, not after so much effort into achieving some stability in my life. I wish everyone who reads this realizes that the weak moments are part of the process and it’s okay to slow down instead of panicking and giving in.

You have an excellent perspective. You are doing great on the journey toward stability and personal growth. Embrace the process and be kind to yourself and others.

1 Like

Thank you for the reminder :slight_smile: I needed it today.