How to live easier with others when you have OCD

I could read that many of you have problems living with others in the same building, which is understandable. OCD can impact our lives in many aspects, which might not lead to the best outcome.
Thus, here I would like to suggest some tips for all of you with OCD who live with others:

-Try to keep your living space as clean and organized as possible. This will help you feel more in control and less anxious.

-Communicate with your roommates or family members about your OCD and what they can do to help make your life easier.

-Create a support system of friends or family members who understand your condition and can offer emotional support.

-If you have any triggers that set off your OCD, try to avoid them as much as possible. If you can’t avoid them, have a plan to deal with them ahead of time.

Make sure to take care of yourself emotionally, mentally, and physically. OCD can be a very draining condition, so it’s essential to recharge your batteries. I find communication with others significant and keeping your space and belongings clean and orderly.

Others struggle to live with someone who has OCD way more than we do living with others. :smiley: Jokes aside, those are some great suggestions for paying more attention to how we can reduce the likelihood of being a burden to those with whom we share one household.

Here is the time to brag about being proclaimed one of the cutest people to live with. Like seriously, I have always felt overly self-conscious about irritating those around me that sometimes I used to make almost no noise. Some people I lived with before never knew that I had OCD or some problem.

I admire your efforts to be the nicest person to the people you lived with. However, were you feeling comfortable doing it? I could imagine it has been quite energy-consuming for you.

It wasn’t easy at first, but I prefer to appear private about my feelings in general. Those around me can rarely guess what I am thinking about or how I feel, which I consider a plus.

I can’t imagine myself being like that. I know everyone is different, but being so restrained in your home sounds unreal, especially with OCD.

I know that not everybody can act like me in similar situations. I also didn’t believe I could reach that state of calmness one day. I am not sure what led to me being so easy to live with, but I am glad it happened.

I wish it would happen to me one day, too but very unlikely because I have ADHD too. Maybe if new pills are invented for better handling those conditions, I can be calm and normal one day.

Don’t lose hope even if you have ADHD. If I were in your place, I would constantly research and try new therapies or medicines that can help me. I’ve done this all my life when I encountered a problem and what I learned is that there is always a solution for any problem which comes sooner or later.

I love your enthusiasm and energy. I share the same belief that there are solutions if we search for them. Sometimes it takes longer, but that’s how we learn to become more patient and enjoy the fruits of our efforts even more later.

I am always looking for new things to try with the hope of overall symptom improvement. For sure, I am not so active in exploring every possible opportunity, but for now, I haven’t lost hope for finding the right cure for both my conditions. So far, the best I have tried is fixing my sleeping routine and sleeping one hour more than before.

So you have found one thing that improves your well-being. That’s not bad at all! It would help if you kept exploring other possible solutions because every case is individual, and you might be surprised at what would work well for you.

I will give it a try. I wonder if you are still so easy to live with despite your OCD? Have you ever been difficult to live with?

I am still easy to live with; I mean, I haven’t changed since the last time I commented about others thinking that they love me as a housemate. I haven’t mentioned that I was being pretty irritable and annoying to be around as a child. My parents told me this a couple of times, and after becoming a teenager, I became more self-conscious and respectful.

That’s a great transition, then. I was the opposite; over the years, I became more demanding about certain things. I understand that others find me annoying, but this is the reality. I got inspired to be more self-conscious about my behavior, though, and I really try.

It’s great that you try; it means you are halfway there. A sensible thing to do in this situation is to write down what, in your opinion, is making you difficult to be around. Once you identify those aspects of your behavior, you can start changing them one by one.

It turned out to be so many things :joy:
If I were a friend of mine, I would run away no matter what. It is incredible how clear things are when we write them down …

I believe we avoid writing down things like our doubts, fears, and negative aspects of our characters because we are afraid of facing them. Sometimes I am afraid to write down things like mistakes I have made because I could feel even more embarrassed seeing them so clearly written down on paper.

It’s so calming to know that it is not just me facing such problems. I believe writing down progress helps positively. Yesterday I wrote that I have an improved understanding of those around me, and my mind thinks it now, and I act accordingly.

I support your opinion about writing down progress. I noticed that it effectively tricks our OCD brains so that we experience fewer obsessions. If done consistently, it would be an excellent method for bottling OCD.