I guess I am the first one to write here in postpartum OCD

It´s a very serious mental illness that can happen to any woman who has just given birth.

I was one of the unlucky ones. It started about two weeks after my daughter was born. I couldn’t stop thinking that I had done something wrong and that my baby was going to die. every time I would see her I would panic and think that I was going to smother her or something. I was also convinced that someone was going to break into my house and steal her.

I would have these thoughts all day long and they were really starting to take their toll on me. I wasn’t able to sleep, eat or even enjoy being a new mom. I was so ashamed of what I was feeling and I felt like I was the only one going through this.

I eventually went to my doctor and she referred me to a therapist who specializes in postpartum OCD. It has been a long road but with the help of therapy and medication, I am finally starting to feel like myself again. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of postpartum OCD, please don’t hesitate to reach out for help. You are not alone.

2 Likes

Dear Anna, thank you for sharing your story. My cousin experienced something similar and I was the only one she felt comfortable sharing it with. I persuaded her to seek therapy too and now she is significantly better.

1 Like

Hello girls, this sounds really scary. I’m happy you managed your symptoms though @Anna . Also, I think that more women and their partners should know about such possible afterbirth complications so that they can seek help immediately.

That’s true, there should be more awareness about this possible complication. I feel I need to do something about it to spread more information. For example, doing something like a local ted talk or gather women who have experienced postpartum ocd so that they can talk about it. What do you think @Kristin?

This is a great idea, Sofie. I’ve had moments when I’ve felt that I have no control over the situation. I was horrified and really don’t wish anyone else to experience this. Women should know more about postpartum OCD and be sure that this will go away with proper treatment.

Absolutely! I already mentioned in another post that I really have the wish to help others with their OCD and I think I have an idea too. It is a little difficult to meet in person in this current world situation so I was planning to host a webinar. I need a few weeks to prepare and maybe you can join me @Sofie?

I would love to join you, dear Kristin. I also need to prepare by reading more information but the most important is to make it friendly and fun for all of us.

You cant be more right Anna. May I know how do you feel now and what helped you the most during the process?

Thank you for your concern, dear Sofie. I was lucky to find a really talented therapist who had experience in Postpartum OCD. I was prescribed Sertraline and started ERP therapy too. I can say that now I am significantly better.

This is amazing to hear. You deserve to enjoy your time being a mom than dealing with OCD.

Incredibly, you are in a better place now, @Anna. I really hope you heal completely and be a fully happy mom.

I am proud of you, ladies. You are brave, intelligent and I wish you unforgettable moments being a parent - now or in the future. Also, thank you for bringing more awareness to postpartum OCD. It seems like a taboo topic for our society.

I am already a happy mom. Also, I feel grateful for finding the right therapist who helped me immensely. I feel prepared to spot any mental problem my child might eventually have and find the right person to help him.

I am glad that the events turned out in such a positive way for you. You are a true inspiration for a strong and caring woman.

Thank you and everyone else for the kind words. Feel free to share my story on other websites or wherever you choose. I aim to make as many people aware of possible postpartum OCD as possible.

That is a great decision, dear @Anna. I will find places where I can share your story and talk about it when I see a need for it.

Thank you :brown_heart:. I have already shared it in a few other forums and some groups on social media where I’ve been a member for some time. It is adorable how everyone sends their best wishes and thankfulness to me. Also, I was shocked that many people didn’t know about postpartum OCD. However, I didn’t know about it myself before dealing with it.

I just had an idea that you can also compile your story and share it as an article on websites like “Medium.” I enjoy reading articles from there, and the platform has a vast audience.

Your suggestion is not bad at all. I have always liked writing essays and novels. Maybe I’m not that skillful with articles, but I will most likely nail it after a few trials.

You sound like an artistic person, so I am optimistic that you will figure out how to write articles too. I have some experience with this, and it is not rocket science. Many online templates and more writing will help you do that faster.