Is OCD an autoimmune condition?

I read a few resources forwarded from a friend who studies medicine that OCD can be an autoimmune condition. There have been few studies on that topic, but there is a logical reason to believe there is at least a connection between the two. If that is true, its treatment process should be totally changed, and we could finally see why most people with OCD don’t ever completely recover. What do the rest of you think about it?

I read before that OCD is associated with a low degree of inflammation, which makes it linked to an autoimmune disorder. However, I am not a medical worker, and I can’t conclude anything more.
This article suggests some interesting findings that OCD can be triggered in some individuals as an autoimmune response to streptococcal infection.

That’s mindblowing. I never imagined that parasites or bacterial infections could influence conditions like OCD. Let alone be a significant cause. :face_with_monocle:

A low degree of inflammation sounds like there is some infection going on. I am extremely curious to find out and will torture my friend for more insights into the topic.

Please do so. When I was younger, I was obsessed with reading about how parasites and ongoing infections in our bodies can cause most of the severe conditions we know today. I need to know what can potentially cause OCD …

I have also stumbled upon a few studies that suggest OCD can be an autoimmune condition. Honestly, I haven’t been surprised to hear about that. Since so many lifestyle changes work wonders, some chronic inflammation occurs in our bodies.

I see the point. I regret not trying to change my lifestyle habits earlier but kept on playing computer games and drinking soda. Then, no wonder I was anxious and feeling low in other areas of my life.

I hate to hear the word “soda.” This is liquid candy that impacts our body and mental state negatively. Especially combined with the sedentary lifestyle of playing computer games makes it a huge no.

I know all this but I was addicted, and the discomfort from facing the real world after the scenes going in my head contributed to consuming more of it. Now I am one of the leading advocates for not consuming anything on an emotional basis but looking at food as a way to survive.

This is how we should look at food usually, and I am upset when I see how big corporations target their marketing campaign to children. What is worse is that they make it seem like their products are healthy and fun, while it’s just the opposite.

That’s evil, but nothing can stop them from making more sales and getting the big bucks. Unfortunately, that’s at the cost of the health of many children, and thousands of them are obese nowadays.

It’s insane, I know it. Then for health problems which are mostly a byproduct of unhealthy eating, we need to buy medications that are usually ineffective and costly. It looks like we need to be alive to spend our money in the worst places and situations.

I can’t believe how crazy and right that sentence sounds. Building the proper habits and living more sustainably will lead us to a better path than most.

Yes, and what works best is having a strict plan that needs to be followed along the way. The change is unlikely to happen without a plan and rules about what to do, consume, and spend time with.

I might sound foolish, but I know people who do great things without a plan. I am not sure how they do it, but from what I have heard and observed, they mostly follow their instincts and change strategies when they feel like it.

This is a small percentage of the population. It’s similar to those super-smart students who excel at school without studying. Nevertheless, you can try different approaches and see which will work best for you.

I always like to be foolishly optimistic and find solutions for myself. I like flexibility, unpredictability, and not much planning. I don’t want to do it otherwise.

Sounds cool as long as you don’t look to change your character traits. I hope someone will bring additional data about OCD, considered an autoimmune condition. I tried to search myself and could not find something that made a strong correlation.

I also could not find much more meaningful information than the study I linked above. I will try to search in some libraries on-site and online these days.

Ah, don’t put that much work into it if you don’t have the time. Make sure you have time for your mental health and take vitamin D in winter.