Mental health and how heat affects it

I have always wondered whether I am the only one who gets more anxious and has difficulty working when the temperatures are high. In recent years it’s been even worse for me to stay concentrated and calm during the summer season. Yesterday, however, I decided to search for what could help me and found information about how heat can affect especially those with mental issues.

According to Ken Duckworth, medical director for the National Alliance on Mental Illness, I was shocked to read that “For the nearly 1 in 5 adults who experience mental illness, heat can be dangerous.”
Let me know if you have similar problems and what helped you if you searched for a solution.

It’s funny how some individuals find the sun and the overall hot weather relaxing while others avoid it like the plague. I know many people like you, and unfortunately, some of them feel irritable all the time when it’s too warm. I am not sure whether this heat intolerance can be healed somehow, but probably creating some good strategy of staying in cold rooms and drinking more cold water might help.

I never found warm weather irritating before until this year. I find myself sweating more and being moodier than before. Maybe it has something to do with me giving birth this year and struggling with postpartum OCD.

That’s an interesting topic. I haven’t realized that the warm weather can be a problem to such an extent for some people. I’ve heard that primarily elderly individuals find it unpleasant some days during the summer. I will follow the topic to learn more.

It sounds bizarre that you have never experienced heat problems before, and now you do. It sounds like it has something to do with you giving birth, but you can’t be sure before checking it with a doctor.

I also know it’s more difficult for older people to cope with the heat. When I was younger, it was easier to deal with it, but now it’s almost impossible to live without an air conditioner inside and ice in the drinks.

I guess you will have a better life in a colder country. Also, be careful not to get a cold if you stay in too cool places. My cousin got terrible back pain that turned chronic after sleeping with the air conditioner on.

I want to live in Russia, but I am a little afraid to go now during the current war scenario. Thanks for the warning - I sometimes get distracted and forget to turn off the air conditioner, which can cause me severe damage one day.

As far as I know, there is no war in Russia; you just can use many things anymore like foreign banks, etc. Otherwise, there are many cold countries you can choose from and forget about using an air conditioner most of the year.

I assume you are right. I want Russia because of the cold and because I am of Russian descent. I have always been curious to feel what their culture is like.

That sounds interesting. I believe you should visit the country then as long as you are sure it is safe. The issue is that during such extreme political operations, every day might change for the worse in that geographic area.

I decided I will visit this fall. I no longer want to postpone the things I want to do. I have been planning to go there for two years now and see what happened at the beginning of this year. I just started feeling great with the weather outside not being so warm, and my mind is clear. :face_with_head_bandage: :sweat_smile:

Another weirdo with warm issues here. :rofl: You have a little weird destination in mind. Considering current news, you probably would not head there if you were a male. Please be careful anyway.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to make it there this year, and its official now. I am beyond sad but will distract myself with something productive and enjoy the cold autumn somewhere else. As long as it’s not that warm, I can survive anything.

You should be happy that you have the opportunity to travel. I always thought that every new destination is an excellent choice because you have a thousand opportunities to learn and see new things.

I will agree with you here; I should stop acting so spoiled. However, it should be that thing or anything else when I want something. But whatever, it’s not so hot anymore, so I am happy.

You can go skiing somewhere or enjoy some salt rooms. I feel that you might find at least one of those enjoyable. Please let me know if I am right. :innocent:

These are great ideas, Kristin. However, as I mentioned earlier today, I plan to walk along the beach in the early mornings next week during my vacation. The water and weather are supposed to be cold, so I am good to go.

Oh, that’s amazing. I envy you a little bit at this point since I like beach walks myself. I hope your holiday brings you only positivity and helps you battle OCD easier.

It brought me many unforgettable memories, and I feel super recharged. If you don’t have the opportunity to go on holiday, you can easily find new venues to visit around your city. I used to do the same when I was in the mood for a holiday, but it was scheduled after a couple of days or weeks.