My parents don't think I have OCD

I am in my late teens, and for about a year and a half, I’ve been trying to figure out what disorder I suffer from. A couple of days ago, I approached my study counselor for help and was referred to the school psychologist. She guesses that I suffer from OCD, but I need to go to a professional specializing in this sphere to get a diagnosis. I talked with my parents and tried to explain to them that this was a real thing, but they seemed not to listen. They call it a “modern” madness that everyone is being diagnosed with something similar, and there is no point in that. Please tell me what to do in this situation. I am still under eighteen and can’t afford to pay for treatment if I have to.

It’s a pity the way your parents react. One thing you can do is talk to your school psychologist to schedule a meeting with them. Then she can explain the possible symptoms of OCD and anxiety disorders in general and the detrimental effects they can have on the person. Remember that whatever happens, we are here to help you with any questions you might have, so don’t lose hope.

My school psychologist tried to talk to my mother about my problem, but she didn’t seem to understand. I started reading self-help books and eating healthy to feel better. That’s all I can do for now.

I am really sorry that you are in a similar situation. My best advice is to keep in contact with your school psychologist, counselor, or whoever you trust and talk to them at least once a week. You can also join local support groups and online communities like this one, where you will find a lot of support.

1 Like

Write a letter to your parents about the importance of them paying attention to your disorder. Make it convincing and put a doctor’s name on it. I did that a few times as a teenager about other issues, and it worked every single time.

1 Like

Haha, you are a master. I indeed believe that your idea might work in this case as well.