My parents don't think I have OCD

I am in my late teens, and for about a year and a half, I’ve been trying to figure out what disorder I suffer from. A couple of days ago, I approached my study counselor for help and was referred to the school psychologist. She guesses that I suffer from OCD, but I need to go to a professional specializing in this sphere to get a diagnosis. I talked with my parents and tried to explain to them that this was a real thing, but they seemed not to listen. They call it a “modern” madness that everyone is being diagnosed with something similar, and there is no point in that. Please tell me what to do in this situation. I am still under eighteen and can’t afford to pay for treatment if I have to.

It’s a pity the way your parents react. One thing you can do is talk to your school psychologist to schedule a meeting with them. Then she can explain the possible symptoms of OCD and anxiety disorders in general and the detrimental effects they can have on the person. Remember that whatever happens, we are here to help you with any questions you might have, so don’t lose hope.

My school psychologist tried to talk to my mother about my problem, but she didn’t seem to understand. I started reading self-help books and eating healthy to feel better. That’s all I can do for now.

I am really sorry that you are in a similar situation. My best advice is to keep in contact with your school psychologist, counselor, or whoever you trust and talk to them at least once a week. You can also join local support groups and online communities like this one, where you will find a lot of support.

1 Like

Write a letter to your parents about the importance of them paying attention to your disorder. Make it convincing and put a doctor’s name on it. I did that a few times as a teenager about other issues, and it worked every single time.

1 Like

Haha, you are a master. I indeed believe that your idea might work in this case as well.

Cool idea, but I am doubtful it will work in reality. My mother is super suspicious and will eventually find out; I am sure about it. If you have any other ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.

You need to plan it considering more information then. Probably you can ask someone you trust for assistance. Maybe the idea sounds lousy, but it all depends on the details you plan and foresee what could happen, so you have plans B, C, etc.

I am usually not so intelligent in creating such plans. Also, I am afraid of the outcome if they find out, but I will see what I can do. You gave me great ideas anyway, and I am thankful.

May the luck be with you. :grinning: Even if it doesn’t work, remember that you are almost an adult and soon will be splashed with all the opportunities and responsibilities in the world. Better enjoy your time now and find some online support group for your potential OCD problems.

You might be correct, but try to put yourself in my shoes. I like the idea of chatting online about my problems and finding more friends online in groups like this one.

That’s cool too. Keep doing what you have in mind as the best solution for the time and situation. However, please do not be so scared to act on your needs because it can influence you in a very negative way at that age.

Sometimes I wish that I was born in another city and environment. Too many restrictions and narrow minded approaches around me make me sick. I will never enforce that to my children if I have such one day.

I understand your pain but see what you can learn from the situation rather than be miserable when you remember it. Everyone has to deal with unpleasant things in their lives, and I believe we should do that wisely.

Maybe you are right, but it’s damn frustrating to depend on someone who doesn’t take you seriously. I don’t wish anyone to be in my situation.

I understand you, ideally, my friend. Would you give us an update on the situation? Did you manage to find some peace and patience within yourself?

I did find peace. I read the comments here a few times I received here and shared my struggles with a close friend. I am also reading more about self-help methods I can use when I am anxious.

It looks like you are on the right path. Keep calm and explore more about your potential condition and yourself when you have the time. Later you would be busier with adulthood responsibilities.

I don’t know much about adulthood responsibilities, but I will try to believe you because I don’t hear it for the first time. Thank you for all the precious advice and support, Franco.

You are very welcome. Also, remember to enjoy your life even when you are busy, and don’t take your insecurities and frustrations too seriously. You will thank me later.