OCD After a Breakup

It seems that we think the same. We all need some obstacles and dead-end situations to build essential life skills. Just let the OCD suffering be less than usual … :grinning:

It is not going to be less than usual when we are so tolerant to it. Just my opinion - I think we should be more harsh on ourselves and take every step into treating it more seriously.

I learned through the years that planning could prevent most problems. We can take things seriously without being harsh on ourselves. And when something unexpected happens, staying calm and not freezing from stress is crucial to fix the issue.

Sounds sensible. I will think about your words as you are older than me and have more experience. I am simply one of those people who like to be harsh on myself and others to improve any situation.

That’s not a good approach and behavior model. People will secretly hate you if you show your temper in any suitable situation, and at the end of the day, I believe you don’t want that.

I know about that, and it does bother me sometimes. You know, I am not a bad person but a little neurotic and want things to happen quickly and efficiently. Indeed, I can work on my behavior.

I dislike it when people use their temper as an apology. I know it’s hard to resist sometimes, but since we are adults, we have to be in control of our lives, specifically how we act. If you realize that you are unpleasant at times as well, you better work on it.

I work on it almost daily, but I forget about everything when I get irritated and mad. It would be best if you understood that most people who get angry do not do that because they want to. Very often, it’s too difficult to act calmly when provoked.

I can relate to you sometimes and understand how difficult it can be. However, it is still your responsibility to put maximum effort into controlling those times of anger and frustration.

I know it is, and I am trying. It’s not the case that I want to appear like a bad-mannered person in front of others. It’s simply very hard at times for me.

Sorry, I understand you. Patience is your best friend in this case. I know how much it helped me, especially at the beginning when I was figuring out how to be less impulsive.

I also found that ERP makes you more patient and in tune with yourself. I guess I have to do one more session or remember its basic principles because it has been a long time since I did the therapy sessions.

You can go through some online sessions about its main principles also. I guess it will be an easier way to recall your therapy sessions than going again.

That’s a great idea indeed. I did that myself long ago with ERP and almost immediately fixed some of my anxiety issues.

I am sorry if my comment sounds stupid. I didn’t know you had ocd also. Never mind, I am a few days into ERP again and have had great results in keeping peace with my unhealthy thoughts.

Your comment was absolutely relevant. In fact, it’s relatively easy to forget the main principles of every therapy. For this reason, revising them and learning new approaches is highly beneficial.

I see. I wonder if your ocd gets worse after a breakup, and what do you often do to keep yourself sane after that? Excuse me if my question is too personal.

No worries about that. I am one of the lucky ones, and my love life does not influence my OCD. Of course, when I am happy, I experience less intrusive thoughts, but even during adverse situations, I try to find joy, even in the small things, when nothing else brings me happiness.

Let’s keep ourselves happier, and our intrusive thoughts will have a less negative impact on our mental health.

I like your advice, and of course, we should keep ourselves happy. It’s our responsibility and not someone’s else. :heart:

1 Like