OCD and tips for improving executive function

Most of us know that our OCD makes us lack simple executive function skills such as longterm-planning, prioritizing, following instructions, etc. I suffered so much from the consequences of the lack of adequate executive function skills. Here i am listing most of the habits that helped me get my life into control and improve in all areas:

• Simplify your surroundings: A cluttered environment can distract and make it difficult to focus. Try to keep your work area clean and organized.

• Set goals: Having specific goals in mind can help you stay on track and motivated. Make sure your goals are realistic and achievable, then break them into smaller steps.

• Prioritize: Once you have your goals set, prioritize the tasks that will help you achieve them. Make a list of everything you need to do, then start with the essential items.

• Take your time: Rushing through tasks can lead to mistakes and poor decision-making. If you can, try to give yourself enough time to complete tasks thoughtfully and carefully.

• Be flexible: Plans change, and that’s okay. Don’t get too frustrated if things don’t go exactly as planned. Roll with the punches and be willing to adjust your goals as needed.

I will be happy to hear your thoughts on what you tried and helped you for improving your executive function.

I was literally thinking of sharing similar information about improving the executive function. It took me over two years to learn how to be efficient as a business owner, making most decisions independently. Setting goals and following them is a crucial step to achieving that.

I also need to have a particular routine to make things done. I love spontaneity so much but can’t afford to be so spontaneous because I play around without producing results.

I am flexible with my tasks and sometimes do multitask as well. I can notice that I produce good results when I am not pressured or micromanaged in doing stuff. Also, dividing the final goal into small steps is the best tip I know for achieving it without a high risk of complications.

I reassure you that once you have children, you will significantly improve your executive function. :grin: For those who don’t have children yet, I can think of taking as much responsibility as you can at work, school, or even at home with your tasks. This way, you will learn to make crucial decisions often, which will improve your executive function in the end.

I love your point. Sometimes I wonder how people can deal with all their life problems and have children to bring up at the same. I guess you become more resilient and creative, which helps you make decisions quickly.

You learn with time and also through practice and experience. When you have to take care of somebody else, you no longer take yourself so seriously, so your problems are left on a second plan. This can make you feel better and more well-grounded.

I get you. I hope to be a good parent one day, even though I am too relaxed for demanding tasks and situations. However, I believe everyone is a little like me before they create a family.

I was also pretty relaxed before I had so many responsibilities at once, so you will learn eventually. It doesn’t have to be a stressful process as long as you know what to expect and you are OK with having less personal time than before.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Do you know any other way to improve the executive function apart from being a parent?

From my experience, not really. Otherwise, I believe there is plenty of books and courses about that. Also, maybe its a good idea to find a mentor. I had a friend who found herself a mentor that taught her a lot.

Super fresh idea. I always strived to learn individually, and that limited me a lot. I don’t want to confess to myself that I learn more under the supervision of someone knowledgeable.

I think most of us initially prefer to learn on our terms and timing but with time get to realize that life is based on cooperation. We should be responsible for our decisions but not be afraid to build and learn with others if we want to achieve something great.

Your advice is wise and absolutely on point. However, do you have any idea how the great minds in the past worked on their discoveries? Most people were given credits for their own achievements, or that’s valid only for the super geniuses?

Well, typically those were geniuses that also worked hard on their discoveries. I cant be completely sure if they were assisted or not, but the way we live today is way different. We have many means of communication, and can easily connect and discuss matters with almost everyone around the world.

You are correct in saying that the way we communicate today changes everything. We are expected to study and learn things entirely differently than people used to do in the past. Sometimes I wonder if we are becoming more innovative or lazier than ever.

I would say both because we get to have access to a lot of information of all sorts. However, because of that, we don’t make an effort to learn many skills because there is no longer need for that. When we stop learning we become less enthusiastic and smart.

We literally become dumb and slow after we stop learning. That’s basically over 50% of the adults who get too used to and bored with their jobs, and dont learn anything additionally. However, we are smart here and should advocate continuous learning and challenging our thoughts.

Additionally, no learning leads to a decreased quality of life and poorer choices. If you notice, all world leaders have time to read regularly despite their daily schedules. Thus, we have no excuse.

Knowing that we have a great motivation to keep learning. Even though, from my experience, it depends on the specific character of each person. Some of us tend to be more curious and ambitious than others.