OCD and tips for improving executive function

Yeah, we differ in almost all aspects of life. Doing certain activities and building appropriate habits is easier for some individuals than others. However, that’s not an excuse because some practices are necessary for a good life.

Indeed that’s the point of doing things we don’t entirely enjoy. Namely, to achieve the results we want from those activities.

I think that some individuals are still too soft and don’t want to strain themselves much to go the extra mile. We cant be exceptional without putting that extra effort even in treating OCD in the long term.

I have to agree with you here. What is the extra mile you went when treating OCD or any other health or mental problem you have encountered?

Honestly, I have gone to great lengths to manage my symptoms and improve my overall well-being. Apart from anything else, what helps me tremendously is keeping a journal to track my thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. I can quickly identify patterns and triggers that lead to my compulsive behavior. It also helps me to be more aware of my symptoms and to manage them better.

It’s great to hear that you have taken active steps to manage your symptoms and improve your overall well-being. Keeping a journal is an effective and simple tool for tracking your thoughts, and I can remember that it also helped me when I started my OCD journey.

It sounds like you no longer do journaling. If that’s correct, are there any reasons you stopped doing so? If I stop journaling today, I will lose most of my progress.

I am not exactly sure why I stopped. One day I found it annoying to do it again and kept going with my life. Of course, if you fear losing track once you stop journaling, do not do that.

Maybe I will reach that point one day, also. However, for now, I can not afford to stop journaling. As I mentioned, it is part of my routine to stay sane.

Of course, keep doing it if you fear that your life will be negatively impacted if you stop.

It’s very possible :slight_smile:

I know I will, hehe. I want to add that puzzles help me before deciding or figuring something out. :grinning: It’s like a puzzle activates more areas of my brain.

What a cool idea for improving decision-making. I have never been a fan of puzzles, but I know some people just love them.

I was also not a fan until I had a few around in my parent’s cottage. I was bored and did most of them for a weekend, and now I can not stop buying puzzles. The effect of this activity is a pure blessing for me.

Your story sounds interesting. What about other games like chess and sudoku, which improve logical function and critical thinking?

Many logical games are worth trying. As far as I know, those games that you mentioned can also be beneficial. It all depends on the personal taste of the person who is playing.

Sure, that goes without saying. I was thinking about going back in the years and playing hard sudoku again. I feel great now.

Hard sudoku is a killer, haha. It frustrates me more than I enjoy it. :grinning: But if you have the mental capacity for it, then make some time for it.

I know how some people find it. I had a close friend who broke a whole living room furniture and decoration after being unable to solve one hard sudoku on a newspaper.

Oh, that doesn’t sound very good. I guess you should noy make that friend angry. Do they have ocd too?

Definitely not, I am super careful around him. :sweat_smile: I think he has some psychotic tendencies and temper issues despite being a nice person deep down.