OCD related to higher risk of stroke

While reading my latest book about OCD, I stumbled upon a sentence reading that individuals with OCD tend to have higher blood pressure. When I searched online, I found numerous articles and studies suggesting that people with OCD have up to three times higher risk of stroke.

Those results are shocking, and I believe that more therapists should warn about this potential risk. Moreover, they should suggest healthier lifestyle habits and prevention apart from the typical therapy methods.
I hope everyone here takes this information seriously and works towards improving their lifestyle. We can do it together.

Those are not good news. I think I remember reading something about it before but didn’t grasp the real meaning. Indeed it’s a topic that has to be more talked about because prevention will play a crucial role, as you suggested.

Probably it has something to do with the chemical imbalance that people with OCD have in their brain. In this way, the brain is being told that the person is stressed and unhappy :thinking: Analyzing things is not my strong part, excuse me if I’m baffling bull*hit.

I am still surprised that it is not a topic much talked about in the OCD communities. Many topics around OCD are being discussed, some of which are somewhat irrelevant. While those studies are more than relevant and have to be taken into account even by therapists and doctors.

We can then keep more activity here and share further details. I just read that OCD is also associated which a higher risk for metabolic and cardiovascular complications, which is again not great news.

Could you please share the source where you found this? I feel absolutely unhappy about those findings too. As if the other complications we need to deal with are not enough. :pensive:

These are terrible findings! I am so afraid of something so awful happening unexpectedly. We all need to check our cholesterol and blood pressure more frequently than usual.

Here is a link to the study: Metabolic and Cardiovascular Complications in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: A Total Population, Sibling Comparison Study With Long-Term Follow-up - ScienceDirect
I haven’t looked at it in detail. Still, in its conclusion, it’s written that those who have OCD should monitor their metabolic and cardiovascular health from early diagnosis of the disorder.

Thank you for sharing the link. Honestly, I don’t feel like rushing to the hospital for those checkups at the moment because I lead a relatively healthy lifestyle. However, I will do some at the end of the year and try to keep a consistent medical record.

Here is another super good video that got uploaded last week. The Best Natural Protocol for Bipolar Disorder and OCD - YouTube
The doctor suggests that it’s essential to fix our gut microbiome to see improvement. No grains, sugar, and fewer vegetable oils are reported to have tremendous success in OCD symptom improvement.
I think that this video is gold.

1 Like

Years ago, I watched a doctor talking about an experiment among autistic patients. They were not allowed to consume flour and gluten; after a few weeks, their symptoms started to improve dramatically. I didn’t believe it much then, but now there is a lot of information in books and online about how devastating sugar and flour are for our health.