OCD with Numbers: The Strange World of OCD Behavior

Originally published at: OCD with Numbers - When counting becomes an obsession

OCD with Numbers Do you ever feel like you can’t stop counting? The number of steps you take, the number of items in your shopping cart, or the number of likes on your latest post is constantly on your mind?  If so, you’re not alone. Many people suffer from OCD with numbers (also known as…

I find that counting sometimes helps me keep calm in stressful situations. I do it to get focused, too, but that is rarer. I haven’t felt that activity as a burden yet, though.

I find it relaxing, too, but obviously, we don’t have the real problem individuals with that type of OCD have. I know a friend of mine I met during a support group meeting who needs to count things every few minutes in order not to go crazy.

I wonder what would typically help people with such a severe type of OCD? Do they take pills every day or do some sort of therapy? It should be so difficult to survive if you have a similar problem.

It can be therapy or medication, or even both. There are also other advanced methods for dealing with severe OCD nowadays that involve surgery as well. I am not aware of how successful it is, but as with any further similar intervention, it has its risks too.

I was reading an article about some electro-stimulating methods that seemed adequate for some people. However, it should be a nightmare to undergo surgery to heal from OCD or other mental problems. I feel for those people.

Living with extreme anxiety and compulsive behavior is more of a nightmare. There is a surge in those cases nowadays, and I don’t understand why.

As a student, I looked through a study that explained the sharp rise of OCD and other mental disorders after introducing the compulsory vaccinations that all children have a few times a year. I was shocked and asked my professor about it; he didn’t know what to answer. He would get in trouble if he spoke about the risks of compulsory vaccination.

I have heard about the toxic ingredients in most vaccines, and apparently, some individuals are more sensitive to those ingredients and develop some side effects. Unfortunately, there will always be two sides of the coin regarding medication and vaccination.

We kind of all know that there are two ides to the coin, but the problem is that all those pharmaceutical companies need to make money. Therefore, they distort and hide many side effects that might appear in some individuals. It’s kind of scary if you think more about it.

I know about that, but unfortunately, we live in a not-so-fair world. There are hidden chemicals in the food we eat, the clothes we wear and almost everything else. At the end of the day its up to us to know about those things and make better decisions.

If we talk about harmful substances, there is much in the air, including radiation in some regions, but we go into detailed discussion. Ultimately, we have the most control over our emotions and should do our best to keep our stress level low.

Excellent conclusion; I share the same opinion about stress. I see it as an inner poison that is times more dangerous than any toxic factor around us. Especially if we want to beat OCD, we must avoid it and learn how to manage it.

I feel that most of the system we live in is designed in a toxic way. Everything from the tv news to what we are taught at school and etc., is limited and wrong in many ways. We need a lot of self-realization and strength to win some freedom in this life.

I like to say that knowing more and striving to achieve more than what is acceptable by society is our task. I stopped blaming how things were a long time ago and decided to be in control of how I lived my life.

That’s also true, but sometimes it takes time to realize some life aspects. For instance, it took me a couple of years to start trusting myself rather than doubting my instincts and common sense.

It is funny how many people have been through the same. It is natural to trust your intuition, but the issue is that there are times when our mind doesn’t agree with it. In these cases, I learned that it’s better to follow our intuition.

Have a look at this - Why Telling Someone with OCD to “Trust Your Gut” is Bad Advice | Dr. Lynne S. Gots – Cognitive Behavioral Strategies
The study suggests that people with OCD should make decisions based on analysis, experience, and values.

That’s an interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing it. Apparently, what works for some might not be the case for others. For instance, I would not manage well if I used the approach suggested in the article above.