Reassurance and OCD

I can advise you to start slowly and follow the instructions exactly as they are doing everything with a clear mind. Let me know if you have trouble with something; maybe I can help.

I understand everything for now, but no effects yet. :joy: I have done two sessions alone, so that’s understandable. I will update after maybe two weeks.

1 Like

You didn’t update at all, Zack. How are you doing, mate? For a month of trial and error, I expect you to have a lot to say from your own experience now.

Hi, Joon. I had my own ups and downs, but I can say that my progress for a month is quite good. I understood many things about myself while doing the therapy on my own, and learned to manage my thoughts when they come … most of the time. I need to put more work for greater results.

Thats great news Zack. Do you have any dos and don’ts to share for doing therapy on your own? I knowits been a month but maybe you noticed which of the methods work and which dont.

Yes, the main dos are the belief that the therapy will be efficient if you put in the work. Then discipline and time to reflect on the results. Anything contrary to those things is not recommended.

That’s helpful to know. I guess you are doing fine with the self-therapy but do you have any need for professional help? I mean, are you struggling with getting the desired results by doing the therapy on your own?

Yes and no, but maybe the answer is something in between. For now, I am putting in a great effort, and I see satisfactory results. Doing it on my own also helps me to learn more about myself and what works best y trial and error. I do not exclude consulting a therapist in the future to complement my efforts.

You seem to be doing good, and I sense you are pretty much down to earth. I am confident you will handle any ups and downs if they happen along the way.

I am doing good most of the time, and when it’s the opposite, I pretend to feel cool about myself. It’s as simple as that, but it’s working very well. What is your best tactic for uplifting yourself when you feel down?

That’s a good, non-harmful strategy. Otherwise, when I am not in the mood, I often search to read something exciting and then easily divert my thoughts.

I also like to read, but it doesn’t help when I am agitated. Instead, I enjoy tidying up my space and car and then going for a shower to feel brand new.

That’s also a good solution. You know everything is better than letting your anger in control.

I am not angry much anymore. But I realized I prefer to be angry sometimes than hide my frustration. It suits my image no matter how silly it might sound, and in rare instances, I tolerate it.

Hopefully, those around you tolerate you too. By the way, this is very good material about dealing with reassurance OCD - https://www.harleyclinical.co.uk/post/reassurance-seeking-ocd

They don’t have a choice, I am afraid to say. Thanks for sharing the material. It seems interesting, especially the part with advice for those who want to support someone dealing with reassurance OCD.

Yeah, OCD is challenging even for those around the individual with the condition. Thus, they must be well acquainted with how to react to help themselves and those with the condition. This means colleagues, partners, family, and friends.

I think the most crucial thing that those close to an OCD patient can do is be patient and understand when the person with OCD is struggling with their symptoms. Avoiding criticism or blame and instead providing encouragement and support can make a big difference in helping the person with OCD to manage their symptoms.

Precisely. Even though it might be frustrating for those around OCD patients, criticism is a big no go in similar situations.

1 Like