Retroactive Jealousy OCD

For me, that’s the main reason to try new things. I know that even though I might not like something, I would have tried something new and gotten some fresh energy from the experience.

I couldn’t agree more, as I used to have the same approach to diving into something new. I also have good stories of being surprised by liking some activities I thought were boring, such as golf. Do you have similar experiences?

Yeah, I had similar stories. I couldn’t believe that I like interior design so much. I started experimenting with putting different kinds of furniture in my home. Also, I learned how to make sushi and surprise my friends with some delicious sushi rolls.

Making sushi sounds awesome. I want to learn also. What about your retroactive jealousy problem? Did you manage to divert those constant thoughts somehow?

I did manage with great effort and persevearance. I can’t say I don’t think about all those possible scenarios like before, but it’s more manageable now.

That’s fantastic news. Was there anything in particular that helped you deal with retroactive jealousy apart from your desire and determination to fix the problem?

My journey to overcoming retroactive jealousy has been a long and difficult one. In addition to my desire and determination to fix the problem, connecting with others who have experienced similar struggles has been instrumental in my recovery. I have also found that mindfulness techniques and self-reflection have helped me better understand and manage my thoughts and emotions.

Sounds pretty logical. I also enjoyed talking with others, and sharing our issues helped every one of us. I can assume you no longer experience significant problems with retroactive jealousy then.

Thankfully I have minor to no issues with retroactive jealousy now. Even when I go back, I laugh at myself for even thinking the way I did before. I know it’s nothing to be made fun of, but this reminds me that I came a long way to recovery.

Apparently, we all do it from time to time. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Just the opposite - be proud of yourself for achieving so much.

You know, I can’t help it sometimes. I believe that most folks with ocd have some flashbacks of memories they prefer not to remember. Nevertheless, they remember them from time to time anyway.

Absolutely but imagine paying less and less attention to those flashbacks every time they appear. It’s doable, and eventually you won’t feel negative emotions toward what happened before.

I still doubt it, but I will put more energy into doing what you said. I often feel like something drastic has to happen in my life so that I will have a clear and undisturbed mind one day.

This is something we all hope for - that one day our life will change for the best and all our problems will disappear. However, this is rarely what happens in real life, and we are the ones who should act to make it better.

What about moderate action combined with high hopes? Would this lead to more luck in the future and open the possibility of winning the lottery maybe? :grinning:

Haha, it’s possible. As long as there is some action, the results can vary depending on your luck. Winning things like the lottery is also not excluded.

I was kidding, but you are right. No action and moving forward equals death and stagnation. I definitely don’t want that.

Yes, slow death and unfulfilling life. I hope you learned how to deal with retroactive jealousy and eliminate the toxic thoughts in your mind.

I think I did. Thank you for asking again after some time. The doubts are still there from time to time but its not a big deal since i don’t allow my intrusive thoughts to control me anymore.

That’s excellent news, Neo. It’s certainly not easy not to get affected by those passing thoughts, especially for longer than a day or two.