Should I tell my boss about my OCD diagnosis?

I suffer from contamination OCD which makes me wash and disinfect my hands for an extended period. To avoid germs, I also disinfect my work desk surface very often. The thing is that I started a new position in a new company and didn’t want others to perceive me as a weirdo. However, I cant stop doing those things and feel calm at the same time. Should I tell others that I have OCD from the beginning or try to suppress my desire to disinfect everything?

1 Like

I suppose that after you start working at the new place, your colleagues will notice your tendency to disinfect your hands and other objects around you. Therefore, they will not perceive it as a big deal by letting them know casually and funnily.

1 Like

I support the opinion of moon. Your colleagues will most likely see you doing some of your obsessions which might slightly disturb them. Finding a good time and approach to mention about your OCD struggles might save you the headache later.

1 Like

I think everyone is still a little anxious about covid and all the other viruses spreading around, so people use disinfectants very often. I see that all the time in my workplace and other venues when I go out, so I guess you won’t look strange unless you do it very often during your workday.

1 Like

I think that could work. I am just not laid-back to act funnily around this topic because I sometimes find it so disturbing.

1 Like

I think I would be unable to hide my condition compulsions with the usual disinfecting against covid that most people do. However, thank you for the advice. I will still consider it.

1 Like

I meant I would not be able to hide my condition

1 Like

I am sorry if my advice was not helpful. You will have a clearer idea of what to do once you start at your new workplace and get to know your environment a little.

1 Like

I started already and haven’t mentioned anything yet. I think some colleagues can notice that I disinfect things more often than usual. However, everyone seems super easygoing so I will share about my struggle with OCD soon.

1 Like

Nothing cooler than having easy-going colleagues. However, you can see if that’s true after a little more time on the job. Did you share something with them already?

1 Like

I agree that we will see that for sure in the future. However, I already mentioned about my OCD anyway, and no one got surprised or looked at me weirdly. My intuition tells me that they don’t even think something super weird about me, which makes me happy.

1 Like

I can only be happy for you too. There is quite a lot of awareness among people nowadays for conditions like OCD and ADHD, and quite frankly, more and more people get diagnosed with them.

1 Like

Yeah, the more people accept something, the more they get diagnosed with the same condition. For some, its something like a modern trend, and they self-diagnose themselves by reading a few articles about it.

1 Like

I was referring to the officially documented cases. The cases in the general statistics are from people who a practitioner diagnosed. That trend is scary.

I understand. I believe we are overstimulated, which may play a key role in our mental deterioration. What do you think might cause those cases to surge?

1 Like

There are many causes but yeah overstimulation, junk food, electronics, etc. We don’t live a simple life as people did before, which influences our mental health.

1 Like

I see what you mean. I still observe some surprisingly calm individuals. I wonder what their secret could be, but I guess it has a lot to do with their upbringing and personality.

1 Like

I also think that proper upbringing is crucial for mentally healthy adults. However, even as adults, people go through traumatic events that can cause long-lasting issues.

1 Like

Unfortunately, you are right, and no one is fully protected from potential traumas and developing mental issues. I wish it could be different so that our lives would be easier.

1 Like

I think no one is born to have an easy life. Even though some people’s lives seem more accessible than others, we never know what goes in their minds and behind closed doors. So own your decision and journey and try to make it valuable.

1 Like