What is the opposite of OCD?

Originally published at: What is the opposite of OCD? –

Do you have a friend or family member who seems to be the opposite of OCD? They might have a complete lack of concern for organization, cleanliness, or order. You might wonder why they are much less stressed and anxious than people with OCD and whether a specific condition is associated with those character traits.…

1 Like

Reading the article, I see that I am a compulsive declutterer, while my dad has always been a compulsive hoarder. I had no idea that we have some disorder, but it is close to the mind.

I know so many people who are primarily hoarders and a few declutterers. I am sure most of them have no idea that it might be because of OCD.

Does anyone know a person in their life who is always calm and has the opposite behavior patterns of what an OCD individual has? Also, is there something negative that you find in those people?

I know a few such people. Honestly, I envy them sometimes, but they also tend to be too generic and not enjoyable at times.

I don’t care what the opposite of OCD is. I will accept almost any other disorder as long as I don’t have OCD. Seriously I’m so tired of feeling like I’m going crazy …

For example, if you had bipolar or anorexia, you would prefer OCD. It all depends on the severity of the condition, as some members already mentioned before. However, no matter the situation, it can always be worse.

You are right, of course. I have moments when I want to feel like normal people, at least for a few days. I sometimes believe that my OCD comes from my multiple childhood traumas. When I think about sharing everything I’ve been through, I feel that there will be more and more terrible events popping up without an end.

Most of our behavior and self-esteem are affected by past events and traumas. It feels that you haven’t moved on from some things that happened before, and that’s fine. Most people haven’t. But when it impacts your life negatively, you need to take it seriously and possibly search for help.

We all have our traumas, and we need them to have something to work on. Imagine growing up without any challenges or failures. Then you probably would not have any appreciation of life and understanding of how others might feel.

I haven’t looked at things from that perspective. I am happy you shared this with me because it sounds so true and inspiring. There was some truth in the words that those who suffered the most have the biggest smiles.

There is a lot of truth in those words, indeed. Life could be meaningless without us having the challenges we need to overcome. Usually, people who had things too easy for themselves are bored and dissatisfied later in life.

I have seen similar examples. Do you have a situation that you are proud to have overcome? Also, do you find it exhausting dealing with OCD, and what makes you keep going?

I can’t recall a particular situation. However, I am proud of being patient daily about not getting overly anxious in front of others. Only my closest people know about my OCD, so I try to look normal in front of others. It gets exhausting, but I feel satisfied when I overcome my compulsive behavior without making problems out of things.

I see. It all sounds good but make sure you don’t keep too much inside of you by suppressing your compulsions so hard. I know that we all do that, but if you have them every day, you probably need further treatment.

I don’t see another way to deal with my OCD for now, unfortunately. I manage so far. Maybe with time, negative emotions will build up. Who knows?

I know from experience that you can burst at the worst moment when negative emotions build up. I am sure you don’t want that, so please consider how you can slowly let go of all the crap you have inside you. There are many options, and it would not take long if you have a healthy routine.

I see. Maybe you are right. I will seriously consider what to do with my situation and post later about what I came up with. I hope you are good and life treats you well. :hugs:

I am pretty alright these days, thanks for asking. It wasn’t the case 2-3 months ago when I was fed up with the intrusive thoughts and fears I was experiencing daily. Somehow I learned to be more patient and accepting of what’s going in and around me, which is nice.