Group Therapy for OCD

Originally published at: Group Therapy for OCD | A Better Way to treat OCD

Group Therapy for OCD: How to Connect and Heal with Others  If you have OCD, you know that it can be a very isolating experience. It often feels like you are the only person in the world who is dealing with this kind of anxiety and fear. But the truth is, you are not alone.…

Is there anyone who practiced relaxation techniques during support group meetings? I am really curious whether group relaxation techniques are more effective.

1 Like

No, but you gave me a great idea to try with the members of my support group. I’ll let you know how it went in a week or two. I hope most of the members will be down for it.

Hi again. This is excellent news. If you tried some relaxation techniques during your support group meeting, share the results with me. Did the people feel enthusiastic about it?

I am too insecure to join a local support group yet. However, I am interested in the effect of the relaxation techniques that you are talking about. Can I practice those techniques at home by myself and have some results?

You can practice relaxation techniques at home by yourself. I recommend you start with deep breathing because it’s the easiest and the fastest method that gives quick stress relief results. That’s how I started a year ago, and now I do it even outside when I am nervous.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I thought about some breathing exercises also. Can you tell me what type of breathing exercises you do because there are many types of those when I search online?

Yes, sure. I do diaphragmatic breathing every day for a couple of minutes. It’s a little uncomfortable to get used to, but afterward, it’s a great way to keep yourself calm.

I am not even sure whether I can do this correctly. Anyway, I believe there is information on the web.
Apart from diaphragmatic breathing, do you take some medication?

You need some practice of course, but you will get used to it.There is plenty of information but if you still feel unsure you can visit any yoga instructor to help you. I take medication as well and in terms of side effects i havent experienced suchbut i know i am a rare case.

I will find an instructor to help me then. Also, you are super lucky with no side effects from the medication. I usually become resistant to the impact of whatever medication I take pretty quickly, so in this matter, it is not for me.

I am sure you will find the best solution to your problem with proper assistance. I never succeeded with only natural methods, but that doesn’t mean taking medication is wrong. I believe that there might be appropriate medication for you too.

I don’t know what to think. Probably there is something suitable for me out there, but with all those inadequate doctors who piss me off and prescribe me crappy stuff, I won’t go far.

I think I haven’t shared, but it also took me some time until I found a good therapist. I was not disappointed in the others but felt they were not good enough or didn’t take my case seriously enough. One thing I know for sure is to be optimistic and avoid getting angry when searching for the right therapist for yourself.

Thank you for presenting your perspective. I will do my best not to let my previous experience influence my search for a new doctor. I will share in case I had any success.

I am looking forward to reading your success story. It will most likely be such if you research well and hear good opinions about the given therapist.

1 Like