How do you react when people around you fail to understand your OCD problem?

So here is the issue - one of my housemates and several colleagues fail to understand how I feel when things are messy and out of order. I lose my mind almost every second day when some of my things, such as cups or papers, are moved from their usual place, when there are bread crumbs around, etc. Some people laugh about my frustration and call me an order freak behind my back. How do I effectively explain that it’s not my choice but ocd that controls my behavior?

Hi Layla, I would suggest having an open and honest conversation with your housemates and colleagues. Start by saying something like, “Hey, I want to talk to you about something important. I’ve been struggling with OCD, which makes me feel really anxious when things are messy or out of order. It’s not something I can control, and it’s challenging for me. I would appreciate your understanding and support in this.”
Educating them about what OCD is and how it affects your daily life might help them realize that it’s not about being a “neat freak.” Explain that it’s a mental health condition that causes you a lot of distress and that their understanding and cooperation would mean a lot to you.

That doesn’t sound right. It looks like the people around you have no idea about how ocd might cause us feel. In your place, I would try talking with them again, and if it continues, then I will surely start planning how to change my environment.