Scrupulosity OCD advice

Hello everyone,
I hope you’re all doing well. I’ve been dealing with scrupulosity OCD for quite some time now, and it’s been a real challenge. Lately, I’ve struggled with intrusive thoughts and compulsions related to my religious beliefs. I constantly question whether my actions align with my faith and moral beliefs, which has been incredibly distressing. I wanted to contact this supportive community to see if anyone has advice or strategies for managing scrupulosity OCD. Have you faced similar experiences, and if so, how do you cope with them? I’m open to suggestions, whether they involve therapy techniques, self-help strategies, or even personal anecdotes that have helped you on your journey.

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. Scrupulosity OCD can be challenging, as I have a friend dealing with this type of ocd. What he found helpful at some point was listing down everything he considered wrong, no matter how small or insignificant it might be. He then checked the list daily and avoided doing those things. He also often adds new things, but his anxiety is way less than before, so try it out if you wish.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good piece of advice I haven’t heard of. I was about to suggest talking with a religious body from his faith to reassure him about his worries.

1 Like

Hmm, it sounds a bit unusual, but I will give it a try since it worked well for your friend.

I did that several times, but the doubts stayed deeply in my soul. I can do it more often, though.

Hello. I can totally relate to you. I’ve been suffering with OCD scruples for 25 plus years. It’s a very heavy cross. Are you Catholic? For me if I remind myself that if there is “scrupulosity, there is no mortal sin,” I can stay more at peace. When you have scrupulosity, your ability to judge sin is not normal. You do not have the ability to commit a mortal sin. A scrupulous person doesn’t want to offend God and their judgement about sin is not reliable. If you are Catholic then it’s helpful to go to one confessor and stick with him. He will help
You and he actually will become your conscience until you get better or can control
Your scruples better. Please feel free to reach out if you have more questions. God bless you.

Hi Meg, I am an Orthodox Christian and will try to stick to one confessor, as you suggested. I am curious about your family relations now that you have some control over your scrupulosity OCD. Sometimes, I catch myself blaming those around me for doing something bad in my eyes …

Hello Lars, Family relations can still be hard. I tend to be very suspicious and often rash judge. I just have to remind myself that those are most likely temptations and not sins. I think it’s just a result of how my brain processes.
I try to pray for them and then find a way to distract myself. I go through stages of being able to control it. Some days it’s not easy at all. I think hormones effect it for me.

It’s really funny I hate when someone is suspicious of me, but I also do it by default… However, you seem to manage it well. I will try my best to do so too, as no one likes people who suspect and judge … my mother was like this.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. People with OCD do it automatically. As long as you aren’t consenting to or willing those uncharitable or unjust thoughts.
Just try to dismiss them and use it as an opportunity to pray for that person. Pray God blesses them. Envy is also difficult for me and causes much temptation. People with scrupulosity often have a hard time differentiating between temptation and sin.

Can I share a prayer I say everyday with you.
Not sure it went through. If not I’ll write it out in a reply. God bless you.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the support and the prayer went through. :green_heart:. I had problems with envy as a child and young adult, but as soon as I went off most social media and started focusing on my and my family’s wellbeing, I rarely envied someone.

1 Like

Or find the right person to talk with. :face_with_monocle: Not every religious person is the same, just like the people in the outside world. With some of them, you will vibe and trust more.

Hi Ben, Yeah, I know that, but it has always been my effort to trust all those who spread the faith among others. It’s making me feel good in some way, also.