About the Hit and Run OCD category

Hit and Run OCD is a form of OCD that involves the sufferer obsessing about potential scenarios of (fatal) car crashes that they either will cause or have caused. Some examples of the compulsions and behaviors related to this type of OCD are as follows:

• Doing a full check of your surroundings before backing out of a parking space
  • Excessively checking your rear-view and side mirrors for fear of hitting an object, a vehicle or a person
  • Driving the speed limit due to fear of speeding and causing an accident as a result
  • Anxiety about hitting someone at an intersection or at a cross-walk
  • Obsessing over whether you hit or killed something or someone while driving
  • Intrusive thoughts about whether you are driving safely

Please keep in mind that our platform is not meant for reassuring one’s compulsions or behaviors; instead, we are a community that helps and supports each other in terms of recovery.

If you would like to read more about Hit and Run OCD, please check out this article.

I never thought that my fear of hitting somebody on the road was due to OCD. Of course, I knew that this is not normal as none of the people I have in my social circle ever felt like this. I really hope that following the treatment methods from my therapist would make me feel more confident driving.

I actually have a friend who is afraid of driving and described her fear just like you @Joon.Now I can tell her the good news that she might have OCD. Its so funny we all have OCD with different symptoms :sweat_smile:

It would have been so nice if there were driving instructors that are aware of hit and run OCD. Actually this is a great business niche, we should start something like this! :sweat_smile: :pray:

2 Likes

Oh yes, that genious :smiley: We should definitely do something about it.

Yes! I will try to write a business plan about it. I will private message you so that we can discuss more.

You are having a lot of fun here as I can see. In terms of hit and run, I experienced it a lot mainly as a teenager. I do now as well but very rarely. I take a combination of medications to help out my symptoms which seem to help for now.

I can help you out with the financials, I’m an accountant :sweat_smile:. Otherwise great idea, I love the people here.

I can help with bringing in more customers. I used to work in sales before and have a proven track record.
:crazy_face: Jokes aside, I would recommend people experiencing hit and run to try ACT. I have a friend that I met in a local support group who shared that this was life-changing for her.

ACT is really effective indeed. I will recommend the book “Freedom from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: A Personalized Recovery Program for Living with Uncertainty” by Jonathan Grayson. It provides a lot of practical advice for dealing with OCD and most importantly it really pushes you to do something about it.

I have that book also on my shelf but haven’t really read it yet. I guess I should though, so many people recommend it. I like to watch videos about OCD. For instance, the channel MedCircle is having professionalists explain a lot about mental health and also OCD and its subtypes.

1 Like

Oh, i know MedCircle. They make really helpful videos indeed. However, I still prefer to read books about the condition, somehow the information from the books stays in my mind for longer.

I somehow envy you for the patience you have for reading those books.I can’t find that patience in myself. I start a book, go through it and then leave it. If you know some tips that might help me not do that please share :pray:

I am the same :grinning: I fastly scan the book, gain an idea about it and that’s it.

Well, this is how we are. Maybe you should continue doing your sports and me drawing in order to ease our OCD symptoms further.

You all have your hobbies and that’s great. I don’t know if it’s a hobby but I simply like to go to the gym in the evening and listen to EDM music. It helps me feel more normal also.

This is a great hobby too. I liked to go to the gym before, but now I’m just too lazy enjoying my wife’s dishes. :smile: But I remember I was feeling excellent mentally and physically when I used to be more physically active.

Well, I’m sure that if I have someone to cook me tasty food, I will ditch the gym. Actually, maybe not fully, but I will definitely attend it less.

Oh please no. Get up and go to exercise. I think I’ve read before that eating too many carbs increases your blood sugar and makes your anxiety symptoms worse. So better be active mate.

1 Like

There is some truth in what you are saying. I noticed that I am way calmer on a relatively empty stomach, and I remember that somewhere I’ve read about the good effects of a keto diet on anxiety and depression.