Further advice for treating contamination OCD

Its been on and off in terms of the frequency of the anxiety. I tried to find a pattern of specific habits that probably makes it happen but could not. I feel that I have another underlying medical issue too.

I assume you need help figuring out why you have those anxiety attacks. I am not a doctor, but I am trying to be helpful in some way. I can see you are a female, so maybe you could look into some hormonal imbalance or issues with your thyroid too.

I checked my blood and hormones a few months ago, and everything seemed ok. However, I have heard many friends who got different results at different hospitals, which sounds a little scary. I might recheck those things these days in another hospital.

This information sounds ridiculous. It looks like we should be aware not only of incompetent doctors but also mistakes in the tests we get. That is a perfect indication we should do our best to avoid visiting any medical institution.

I agree, but it is impossible to avoid visiting medical institutions altogether. However, as you suggested, it is best to avoid it as much as possible.

Unfortunately, you are correct that even if we take care of our health, we may need some sort of medical assistance. Nevertheless, doing our best to prevent getting sick is crucial for fewer problems.

I get what you mean. What are your prevention methods, and which ways do you not approve of?
I know that most of our immune system is built during childhood so maybe blame your parents if you have some problems. :upside_down_face:

The best prevention method is living a well-balanced lifestyle which includes healthy food, a lot of movement, and less stress. Unfortunately, most of us have busy lives where it’s almost impossible to achieve those three habits at once, which leads to problems.

I support you on these factors. I want to add that stress is an inevitable part of almost everyone’s life, so having a trusted psychologist for the most adverse events in our life is an excellent way to cope quicker.

We can learn to have a positive attitude, allowing us to cope better with everyday stressful situations. I struggle to be positive all the time but somehow learned to have that inner tranquility and belief that I am doing the best I can.

It’s fantastic that you do that on your own. I personally need external help to cope with unpleasant moments and past traumas.

I guess you have been using professional help for quite some time now. Could you tell me if you healed entirely or to a satisfactory extent?

I am recovering to a satisfactory extent. Within the last few months, I realized that the healing process consists of many factors to be successful and long-lasting. Even though I use professional help, I need to put in a lot of work to overcome my intrusive thoughts and compulsions.

That goes without saying, dear Sara. Your efforts should be even more when you feel least motivated.

I wonder, do you always work so hard on yourself when you feel no motivation at all? It’s challenging for me, and I prefer to lie down and find peace within myself when I don’t have the energy.

It’s not always, of course, but it’s frequent. Keep repeating that it’s for your good, and you will bear the process easier than before. You will find short-term relief by feeling a sense of accomplishment and long-term by the consistent effort you put in.

That’s a good point of view. I sometimes do the same thing, actually. It’s usually when I have no motivation but have to do the task.

You know well, then. Do you have any progress treating your contamination OCD? As far as I remember, you were doing ERP as a primary treatment option.

I have been utilizing ERP as a primary treatment option, but it is not easy. It requires a lot of hard work and dedication, and it can be difficult to face my fears head-on. But with the guidance of a therapist experienced in treating OCD and the support of my loved ones, I have seen some progress in managing my symptoms.

It takes courage and commitment to undergo exposure and response prevention (ERP) therapy for OCD. However, it’s great to hear that you’re making progress with the support of a therapist and loved ones. Keep up the hard work, as ERP is considered one of the most effective treatments for OCD.