OCD After Drinking

Originally published at: https://ocdtalk.com/ocd-after-drinking/

OCD After Drinking: How Alcohol Affects Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder It is no secret that alcohol can affect the brain in several ways. However, many people don’t know that alcohol can affect OCD symptoms. Thus, If you suffer from OCD and drink alcohol, it is crucial to be aware of the risks and take steps to protect…

I personally find alcohol helpful with my OCD, but I know how to be moderate. Also, I consume only certain types of high-quality alcohol, mostly gin which makes me feel refreshed.

This is smart of you, @an.average. I do the same and don’t have problems afterward. Also, beer is not suitable for men mainly because it contains too much estrogen. That’s why when you consume a lot of it, you develop a beer belly. Anyways, this is for another topic :sweat_smile:

In fact, you are right, but I like some types of craft beer, and it’s difficult to quit it completely. However, we can talk about moderation. :grinning:

I usually don’t have a problem when I drink, and I can do it in moderation. However, if I drink this weekend, I will want to do that shortly after, and then it becomes regular. That’s why I prefer to avoid alcohol in general.

I’ve been using my self-written rules of drinking only on special occasions and only high-quality alcohol in the last two years. By following this rule, I consume alcohol between 10 and 15 times a year, do not get drunk, and enjoy any event without the afterward complications.

This sounds too perfect to be true. I know maybe 1-2 people who do the same as you, and they have their lives set. I can assume that despite your OCD, you are a pretty successful person.

It is not something difficult to follow once you create the proper habit. Indeed it is more enjoyable to enjoy your few drinks during those particular occasions. Nothing hurts from trying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, I know about the beer, and it’s funny how my friends who like drinking beer started to have some bellies. I am not telling them anything because I decided not to offer help or advice a long time ago without someone asking for it. I guess beer is more suitable for women then.

If you want to stop drinking, the best thing is to tell everyone around you that you intend to do so. Also, you can kindly ask your closest people not to let you drink when you feel weak and want to have a drink or two. It worked very well for me in the past when I was trying to quit drinking.

I have seen people fail with this method. The last time a friend of mine kindly announced that he prefers not to drink and what he did was sneak into private places to have some alcohol. He was too embarrassed we would laugh at him for being too weak. Eventually, we saw him and did it anyway… :grinning:

This situation sounds hilarious. It’s like being on a diet and sneaking away to eat a cake. Maybe your friend needs a step-by-step approach cause this one seemed too drastic for him.

This situation sounds like a lousy exception. I mean, it seems that he was not ready for the drastic change, which does not include any alcohol at all. In such cases, a limited alcohol intake or avoidance of going out would work better.

I get what you mean, and I thought from the beginning that this would not end up well. When I heard from him, he took a different approach to limit his alcohol intake. People should think about what would work best for them before starting it.

1 Like

I support the saying that people should do what works best for them instead of blindly following what worked well for someone they know. I have seen disastrous examples of how others screw themselves up for doing what they are being told instead of asking themselves whether they can finish that.

I have seen similar examples too. So here we somewhat have the same opinion of things. We should look at others’ achievements merely for inspiration and constantly evaluate if it’s something we want and can achieve.

Your nickname doesn’t suit you. You sound like a really wise person. I wonder what inspires you to do the things you want in life, particularly coping with OCD?

You know I want a peaceful and satisfying existence, so to get this, I am pretty much aware that I need to work for it. I do not wait for a magical pill or intervention to fix my problems.

We all say this, but people rarely imply this in their lives. I believe you do, and I am happy to know such a wise person like you. What has been the most challenging thing to achieve up to now?