OCD Relapse

Originally published at: OCD Relapse | Based on personal experience

OCD Relapse: How to Deal with OCD Symptoms When They Come Back  It’s not unusual for people with OCD to experience a relapse after doing well for a while. When this happens, it can be scary and confusing. It’s important to remember that a relapse is not a sign of failure and that you can…

I intuitively try to maintain healthy lifestyle habits as suggested in the article. For now, I have not experienced extreme anxiety-like symptoms like those before treatment, which means that I probably haven’t experienced an OCD relapse.

You are a great example that self-care and living more naturally lead to incredible results. It took me a long time to implement the necessary changes in my routine until I started to feel consistently good. It was mainly a struggle with moving more and limiting my sedentary time.

When I feel anxious and worried, I close myself inside and stay by myself until it passes. Through the years, I noted that no matter my lifestyle, there are always those moments when the anxiety hits at some point, and that’s it.

I feel like you, but I also found out that going out to have coffee with a good friend or just by myself makes me feel better. The point is to get up and treat yourself to what makes you usually happy.

Creating good vibes and treating yourself well is an excellent approach for fixing anxiety, at least in the short term. I find it better than closing myself and waiting until I feel good again. I noticed that by staying inside by myself, time passes very slowly while my mind is in all directions.

I’ve learned that there are many healthy ways to implement in your lifestyle, but all those ways work differently for different people. For example, I hate eating fruits and don’t understand how fruitarians are healthy and slim.

It’s correct that different things work differently for everyone. I also don’t get the idea of the fruits. It’s mainly sugar in them, and I don’t understand how someone can eat mostly fruit sugar and be slim and healthy.

That’s exactly what I tell everyone who feels unhappy at some point. Staying alone behind closed doors is not a good response to a similar situation. There is always something great to do, and you just need to find it.

I spent some time understanding this thing with the fruits and found a lot of material suggesting that eating primarily fruits is not a good diet. I will probably experience relapse if I consume mainly fruit sugars, which will most likely be the case with all of us.

I am inclined to think that way about fruits and their high sugar content too. However, I rarely hear of individuals who don’t experience relapse or anxiety problems after starting treatment. Thats why I am curious about your treatment plan and OCD subtype.

I am not sure about what my OCD type is, but I used to experience a lot of intrusive thoughts and was prescribed antidepressants by my general doctor. I didn’t take them regularly but started attending group mindfulness therapy sessions. I met a woman who had anxiety problems in her early twenties, but with mindfulness and healthy habits such as diet and working out, she found a balance in her life. So I followed the same things, and the intrusive thoughts are no longer affecting me.

I wish all people with whatever kind of health problems meet others who give an example of how good healthy habits make a difference. I will add good social relationships with people too. Combining both is the most excellent medicine against anything.

True, social relationships are also important. Recently I find myself pretty isolated due to being extremely busy at work and tired afterward for any sort of socializing. I see how this situation is making me drained, but it will be like this for some time, unfortunately.

I am sure you can find a way to change your situation if you want to. Sometimes we don’t need more than a few minutes quality talk with someone we love and respect to feel recharged.

I will do my best, but it isn’t easy when I am so short on time. I don’t want to experience relapse. I have been holding for so long without getting worse.

You will be fine, Alex. If you don’t have to see someone for coffee, you can give a call to someone special to you. Alternatively, you can write here also about your current state of mind. My best wishes to you.

Hey Joon, thank you for the wishes. I am good for now, and I listened to your advice and called two of my old friends. Our talks made me more motivated and focused on my work which is incredible.

That’s excellent news, Alex. It would be easier for you to achieve your goals from now on. You are less likely to experience OCD relapse when you keep in touch with those close to you, even when you are busier than usual.